Friday, January 29, 2010

Asia- The Next Generation

I traveled to Asia quite a bit in the 90's.  In 2005 I had occasion to go back, specifically to Seoul, Korea.  My impression:  What Tokyo was in the 90's, Seoul is today.  The development from a gray/brown concrete mess into a world class city.  The people who used to be Chicago-like in their work ethic have become Manhattan-like.  Young professional women dressed in the latest fashion, going out to socialize after work.  The change is profound.

In fact, the changes I saw in Korea are emblematic of the growth of Asia.  The last 20 years have been a period of perhaps unprecedented growth around the world, and I was wondering if Asia had managed to keep up.  Recently I saw some statistical proof and projection of the revolution taking place in the world.  Draw your own conclusions, there are many as to the cause of the growth.  And the effect?  That will be most interesting to see to!

In the link I attached to this post you can see Professor Hans Rosling present statistics about fundamental societal changes in Asia.  It is one of the most thought provoking presentations of data you will ever see.  Take the time to watch it and to read the comments, for once they add value.

No comments: