Thursday, February 4, 2010

#RestaurantReview- Seeking the Best Burger in the World

Take a mobile home on the edge of town, paint it Elvis blue and make it a burger stand. No drive thru, no dining room.  Just a deck and a couple of picnic tables out front. Remember, Port Angeles is not noted for sun- ever hear of Twighlight? Its set a few miles up the road.  Talk about pushing a stone uphill!

So to drive traffic you (the owner), run radio ads on KONP, the great local radio station, and promise a great burger, tell people you think it is the best burger. Maybe obvious, but still...

This is the kind of business that is going to survive by doing things right.  When you are a small business and the road in front of your door, the 8th Street Bridge is closed for a year, you have to get people back to try you when construction is finished. Here on the west end of the Peninsula that means going on the radio to tell your story.  Once you get people in, you have one chance to make them believers, convert them to customers.  That is what the  radio spot tells us, that the owner wants one chance to convince you, and he believes he can.  High stakes indeed!







I rolled up in my big F350, my dog beside me and a load of metal in the back to go to the recycler.  I was in the mood for a damn hamburger!


I stepped up on the porch and strode to the window.  I started with the basic- their deluxe.  It has Thousand Island dressing, mayo, tomato and lettuce.  The bun is a toasted sesame seed generic.  The meat is thick, perfectly cooked and juicy- hand made from fresh beef unless I am mistaken.  Moist, meaty, tasty and a bit sloppy.  Burger perfection? No, but Mr Bridges (yes, the owner is named Bridges, the location is at the big new bridges- I love the symetry), is right, I will be back- my highest form of praise.


Here on the Olympic Peninsula we expect to pay more and get less  in restaurants. I can get better food cheaper in any city not in Washington. But that's not why we live here.  Fortunately for us, The 8th Street Bridges Grill provides inexpensive food that is honest and good.  

No comments: