Sunday, December 7, 2008

Uplink the files- GO GO GO!

Lets review. We have designed the website, made up a name for it, found the software to make it all work, contracted a web host, registered the domain. Now its time to put it all together.

First to learn about FTP- the way the files get from my computer to the web. Then to use it to upload the files to the host site, in a directory in my account that relates to the whole thing in ways I don't understand. Oops, nothing will work. There are a few ways to do this. More research. No solutions that work. Shut it down! SHUT IT DOWN!

Next day, restart it and do it all over, by the numbers. For some reason, my FTP program is now making a connection with the webhost in the right directory. Now what files do I have to upload? Back to the web for several contradictory bits of advice. Oh heck, lets just try to select all the files and directories in my master file on my desktop, and... hey! Its all uploading.

When done, close everything down and wait. It takes about 24 hours for the webhost to sort it all out and get it all put in place. They have a word for that, which I used several times for a couple of days, but have now forgot, or forgotten, of forgat.

Back to the computer the next day, and it works. Mainstreetadvantage.com

No comments: