Monday, February 15, 2010

Exechobo- Hospitality Professional

I really love it when a hospitality establishment delivers.  Whether its the giggly smile you should get at a dairy stand window, or the "lifestyles of the rich and famous" wonder of a hotel gem, or the simple pleasure of a friendly pub owner caring about the time you spend in his or her place.  These are the moments that can define a memory, or simply bring a little joy to an otherwise mundane day. That's why  hospitality careers are a vocation.

If you don't get a bit of a thrill when you see how impactful your work is on individuals, move on to another trade.  If you divide your pay by your hours, you won't like the business.  If you think anything, ANYTHING AT ALL in your establishment is not your responsibility, not defining you, not part of what the guests pay for, you are mistaken.

I have been in the business for more than 35 years, doing a lot of stuff, all of it relating to operating restaurants.  I have done it around the world, and at all levels.  I have worked with great talent to develop food and concepts.  I know about the business.  Now I enjoy it as an observer, and sometimes a consultant.  I like to make it a better business.

No comments: